CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, August 18, 2008

Some things happened over the weekend

Something fragile

We finally got to see the latest addition to our family. He is so small. So precious. So fragile.

As most of us are first time aunties and grandaunties, we 'struggled' trying to carry Wallace and not make him cry. It was hilarious when all the ladies deliberated on the best way to pass him over to each other. We are really noobs (newbies in Daniel's dictionary).

Something bizarre

I know I'm mean, but I must share. At the full moon party, I finally got to know someone named Bosco (he's my distant cousin's son).

*in Cantonese intonation* "Meet my son, Bosco ah"

The most bizarre name parents could give their child. I know I'm mean. Sorry.

Something lovely

My forty-something-year-old uncle finally got hitched. His new beau met most of us for the first time. It's somewhat weird, but delightful, to see my uncle is now a changed man.

He's neater.

He tucks in his shirt.

His hair is less greasy.

His face is flushed.

He got himself a new pair of Levi's.

Less loud and less oblivious.

It was really lovely to see how he really cares for his new beau. He made sure she was confortable. Teman-ed her everywhere she went. Spoke to her softly. That is so unlike my uncle. Not the uncle I know in the last 26 years of my life. Love changed him.

Something confusing

The relationship between my forty-something-year-old uncle who just got hitched and his new beau is quite complicating. On papers, they are officially married. But in the Chinese custom, they are not not until the tea ceremony and wedding reception, and it won't be until this November.

If that's not enough to confuse you, hear this. When my uncle introduced his new beau to us, he refered her as his girlfriend. Later, he said she's his fiancee. To another person, he called her his wife. How's that?

We, his nieces and nephews, were more puzzled. We don't know what to refer her as. We can't call her aunt yet as she's not officially one. We can't call her aunty (in a generic manner) as she's only in her mid-30s. We have no solution to this, yet.

Something out of the blue

My forty-something-year-old uncle who just got hitched came to me during lunch and asked me about my opinion on styrofoam cut out words on the stage backdrop for his wedding dinner. Then I realised that I was informally, unofficially recruited as his wedding decorator cum coordinator.

Something honorable

We rushed back to KL for the badminton finals. And like many Malaysians, we were just as dissapointed. Daniel's still not over the lost.

But when Lee Chong Wei stood on the pedestals, I felt he did us proud. Hey, at least he got us a silver medal, and not you. I teared when I saw the Malaysian flag raised.