CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Moonlight Resonance

In class:
Student: Miss Kinsan, you look tired. Are you ok?
Me: No, I'm not ok. I haven't had enough sleep.

Student: Oh... is it because of work?
Me: No. It's because I have been watching Moonlight Resonance (a TVB serial) till the wee hours of the morning.
Students: Yeah... we totally understand.


Seriously, you won't understand unless you've watched this particular serial. Having watched it in the last 5 days (and I'm already at Episode 37 of 40), I'm already feeling like a junkie. It's like shooting heroin into my blood stre
am, I can never get enough of it. I tell myself every night, "this will be my last for the night" and it won't be until I finish another 2 more episodes. I'm totally addicted to Moonlight Resonance.



I'll echo with the rest that it is a great show. It's so engaging that out of 5 nights, I've dreamt about the show twice - once where the characters became part of my dream, and the other where I was one of the characters in the drama. It's definitely giving me more morning blues than ever. I got to work for class. I drove at 80km/j on the fast lane. I was most of the time disoriented.

But have you ever wondered what is it with such obsession for Chinese serials? Well, I have. Not only wondered but studied, researched, and wrote a paper about it too! Seriously! (I majored in Media Analysis back in uni).

There are 2 possible reasons: these larger than life serials are (1) a portrayal of lives that we can never live but dream to have, and (2) a portrayal of lives that are reflective of our true selves, but only less magnified and most of the time disguised.

And true enough, minus the drama, the good looks, the bad lucks, the exaggerations, the coincidences, the over the top lifestyles, in Moonlight Resonance, I find pieces of myself in the characters. It's like seeing myself in the drama. And Daniel even concurred that I'm no different from the evil stepmother. Not a pleasing comment at all, but I partially agree with him. I probably possess 0.0253% of her evilness.

Anyway, final note to self: MUST FINISH THE FINAL 3 EPISODES TONIGHT, and I'll be over and done with this.