CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, June 12, 2008

It trots out of my shelf


My kids were snickering while flipping through the pages of this book. I thought if this could amuse them that much, it should be a good read. Man, i was really in for a surprise. I was lost as I slogged through the pages.

This is a parody of Harry Potter (you see the similarity in the names? Harry Potter, Barry Trotter?). Only difference is definitely NOT child friendly. Too much filth. No wonder my kids snickered!


To begin with, I'm not a huge Harry Potter fan. I can barely remember like 3 names - Harry (duh!), Ron, Hermaine (see, I can't even get the spelling right). As this is a parody, Gerber changed the names by a letter (or two), and by the 4th character introduced in the story, i was lost.

Much of the story reflects quite closely to the original but with a little more twist and scandal to it. And because it's a parody, the plot was loosely built, expecting the readers to understand the why's and how's of the story. I've never read any Harry Potter books and have only watched 3 of the 5 movies and am still trying to make sense of the last sequel i watched, you can perhaps imagine how confounded i was.


You'll probably love this book if:
1) you're a guy
2) you hate Harry Potter
3) you want to put yourself to a challenge (like i did)