CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Of funerals and eulogies

I just got back from a friend's father's memorial service. I know this is an unusual fetish, but I confess that I like going to Christian memorial services and funerals. No, i don't like looking at corpses or seeing people bawling. I just love listening to eulogies.

Eulogies are powerful to me. It's not hyped-up. Neither is it manipulative in any ways. It's just truth. Truth about a person, a person's life, and a person's teaching. It's delivered raw from their memories. And these are usually the most genuine words any human beings can deliver.

I came back from the service very encouraged and at the same time reminded that my life can touch others. Most of all, I'm reminded that we all have the same appointment we've to keep; that's death.

And to Uncle Chan who has passed on,
Though our paths have never crossed on earth, my life has been moved by your works and memories you've left behind. It's my loss for not knowing you any earlier, but I have to agree with everyone who testified that you are a legend. Thank you.