CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, May 16, 2008

A day in my life

I'm loving the idea of blogging. I am beginning to see that I'm prone to become an obsessive compulsive blogger. soon.

Anyway, as i was saying about my life today, I went to town to help Dad collect some documents. Wasn't that excited about the idea. Mainly because it was going to be a 2-hour journey to & fro to collect something which would take me 20 minutes to complete. To add to it, my absent-mindedness only made the journey more eventful:

First, I had to join the rakyat on the train ride to town. If it weren't for my chicken rice uncle increasing his price per plate of rice, i wouldn't have forego my privellage of driving in my cooling box. sigh, if the food crisis continues on, i foresee myself cycling to town very soon.

I missed my train stop because i was too engrossed in reading the news about this malay man who is denied his right to marry his fourth wife by the Syariah court. I always thought Muslims are entitled to marry anyone (any four, to be exact) they fancy. Little did i realize that the court has its right to intrude to his personal life. Isn't that fascinating?

Crossed Jalan Masjid Jamek 3 times looking for the entrance to Putra LRT station. They closed one of it for renovation, and went round looking for it. I knew i looked silly.

The best of it, i nearly took the Rapid KL bus from the station back home because i forgot that i parked my car at the station. phew.

And i had to walk miles long under the sun to get to my car.

Finally, I'm home, extremely exhausted by the whole ordeal.



On another note, I read that the bloggers launched the campaign "Penangites for Trams".



My take? In all honesty, i think it will be a great project with very good and sensible intentions. However, before the trams could happen, i think that there's a lot more that needs to be worked on, i.e. revamping the public transportation system in Penang.

Let's take Perth for example. Though trams system doesn't exist there, they've what they call the CAT bus system. Basically, these CAT buses provide free transportation within City and Fremantle (tourist attraction). In the city, CAT runs on 3 routes (and i'm not too sure how many routes in Freo) connecting every part of the city. Because of CATS, there's hardly any traffic congestion in the city nor Freo.

And you probably might think that one needs to drive to the city and park their cars in the parking blocks before they can hop onto CAT. And if they do, why don't they just drive to their desired destination? Well, the Perthians do... but not all. Mainly because petrol price is sky high (mind you, their petrol is NOT subsidised by the g'ment) and there's very limited parking spaces in town, not to mention it's expensive too. So. the Perthians join their rakyat hopping onto one of those suburb buses and/or trains connecting to the city. And in order for these systems to integrate well, buses and trains come on time, there are ample buses and trains on stand-by, and drivers are considerate and ethical.

Hence, my take on trams for Penangites is that revamping the system is most vital before anyone plants another white elephant in the middle of the road. Let's hope that the new CM will have better foresight than the previous one :)

1 comments:

Wern-Yi said...

rakyat? tsk tsk tsk you so mean...